The newly founded independent junior research group „Mathematical and Computational Population Genetics“, headed by Franz Baumdicker at the University of Tübingen has an opening for
Postdoctoral researchers (f/m/d)
The group develops and applies mathematical models and bioinformatic tools with a special focus on microbial evolution. We are interested in a variety of evolutionary scenarios including CRISPR Cas Evolution, Pan-Genome Evolution, Horizontal Gene Transfer, Fluctuationg Selection, and Cooperation in Bacteria.
The postdoc should be interested to operate at the intersection of Mathematical Population Genetics / Computational Biology / Bioinformatics using mathematical population genetics, phylogenetics, statistical analysis, machine learning algorithms, and large scale simulations to derive new mathematical results, develop open source software and apply them to (microbial) genome data.
For scientific questions please contact: email@example.com.
Candidate profiles we would love to see:
- PhD degree in (Bio-)Mathematics, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or a related field
- Interest in interdisciplinary research
- Strong mathematical preparation and interest and/or good computational skills (e.g. in Python, R)
- Independent, responsible and committed work
- Fluency in (scientific) English
What we offer:
- Salary according to TV-L, E13 (100%)
- The group is part of two Excellence Clusters (Controlling Microbes to Fight Infections & Machine Learning) in Tübingen, which offers an excellent research environment with plenty of potential collaboration partners.
- Flexible starting date and the possibility to start the project remotely in the initial phase
- Focus on research (no formal teaching duties)
- Intense personal and scientific mentoring in an open and supportive environment
- Integration into a young and agile research group
- Responsibility to conduct your own research projects with a high amount of autonomy
- The opportunity to visit and organize conferences, workshops and research visits to other universities and summer schools.
- Possibilities to develop your own research ideas and mentor Ph.D. students
The University of Tübingen is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to gender, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or age. Researchers from outside Germany are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applications and inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your application as a single PDF file and include a brief statement on your interests and experience, CV (including a possible list of publications and the contact info of two academic references), and university transcripts.
The review of applications will begin in July 2021 and continue until the positions are filled.