The newly founded independent junior research group „Mathematical and Computational Population Genetics“ headed by Franz Baumdicker at the University of Tübingen has an opening for
PhD students (f/m/d)
The group develops and applies mathematical models and bioinformatic tools with a special focus on microbial evolution.
The PhD students will work at the intersection of Mathematical Population Genetics / Computational Biology / Bioinformatics using population genetics, phylogenetics, statistical analysis, machine learning algorithms, and large scale simulations to derive new theoretical results, develop open source software and apply them to (microbial) genome data.
We are interested in a variety of evolutionary scenarios including CRISPR-Cas Evolution and Dynamics, Pan-Genome Evolution, Horizontal Gene Transfer, Fluctuationg Selection, and Cooperation in Bacteria.
For scientific questions please contact: email@example.com.
Candidate profiles we would love to see:
- Master's degree in (Bio-)Mathematics, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or a related field
- Interest in interdisciplinary research
- Strong mathematical preparation and interest and/or good computational skills (e.g. in Python, R)
- Independent, responsible and committed work
- Fluency in (scientific) English
What we offer:
- Salary according to TV-L, E13 (65%)
- Dissertation at the Faculty of Natural Sciences working with two advisors
- The group is part of two Excellence Clusters (Controlling Microbes to Fight Infections & Machine Learning) in Tübingen, which offers an excellent research environment with plenty of potential collaboration partners.
- Possibly integration into the DFG priority programme SPP2141, where appropriate
- Focus on research (no formal teaching duties)
- Intense personal and scientific mentoring in an open and supportive environment
- Integration into a young and agile research group
- The opportunity to visit conferences, workshops, other research groups and summer schools.
- Responsibility to conduct your own research projects with a high amount of autonomy
- Possibilities to develop your own research ideas in a young and agile team
The University of Tübingen is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to gender, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or age. Researchers from outside Germany are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applications and inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your application as a single PDF file and include- brief statement on the applicant's interests and experience, CV (including a possible list of publications and the contact info of two academic references), and university transcripts.
The review of applications will begin in July 2021 and continue until the positions are filled.